White Bean Chicken (or Turkey) chili
I never thought I’d be one to have a blog where I post recipes. But since fixing food for my humans consumes a huge portion of my life, I think good, healthy recipes deserve a space on my blog. Every once in a while at least.
If you haven’t checked out Mel’s Kitchen Cafe blog, you probably should. Awesome, almost always easy, and usually not time consuming recipes. It’s my “go to” recipe site.
And with that, I give you this little gem that has become a part of our winter meal rotation.
White Bean Chicken (or Turkey) Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken (or turkey)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup salsa (I use Pace Chunky Medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients, except the mozzarella cheese. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the soup comes to a simmer. Add the mozzarella cheese one handful at a time, stirring to let each addition melt before adding the next. Stir to combine and make sure all the cheese has melted and serve.
It’s good. Trust me. And healthy. Bonus. I’ve made it with turkey and chicken. Tastes great either way. And once I was out of mozzarella cheese, so I ripped up a bunch of string cheese and put that in there. Took a little longer to melt, but it still worked. I’m brave in the kitchen like that.